Thursday, July 29, 2010

a chit chat with my mom...

So, yesterday evening I had a nice, long chat with my Mom. I was telling her all about having started this blog(she hasn't read anything on here yet...she's not very internet-savy), and what it's going to be about, yadda yadda yadda...She's excited, needless to say. She just wants a grandkid!!!

I wanted to run by her the idea of this documentary, Google Baby, some thoughts on using a surrogate, and the fact that I had contacted TAMMUZ.COM to find out a little more about how their whole operation works.

side note:I have been contacted by that company. We're in the process of setting up a time for a conference call to chat. I'm sure I'll have more on that subject very soon. Maybe I can get him to send me a copy of the documentary so I can see it!!!

Okay! Right! Back on topic.

So, in discussion with my Mom, I told her that I had some weird feelings about using a surrogate. Especially one all the way around the world in India. I expressed that I thought that I'd also have similar feelings about using a surrogate here in the United States. The only difference for us using an American surrogate, I guess, would be the fact that I would be a little more able to be a "part" of the pregnancy. you know, calling every so often to see how things were going, bothering her by telling her not to work to hard, etc...

I basically feel strange about the idea of baby farming...But then, I am a very matter-of-fact guy...

My Mom's take on the whole thing is, that if Henry and I have a baby, through adoption or surrogacy...everything, whichever process we choose, is a means to an end. The end result being...Henry and I having the family that both of us dream about. And isn't that what all this is all about?

I think it is...

I think that everyone I could ask about any of this would have something different to say... something about adoption, and where from, that might make someone nervous...something about which surrogacy service and their methods that might creep someone else out. But it is my path.

Only Henry and I can say what's right for the two of us. And in general, I think that there are parts of my journey that might not sit well with lots of people...We can only follow our heats. Henry and I, and loads of other families looking into adoption or surrogacy, are swimming upstream here. This is our New Frontier, our Outer Space, our 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea. There're no rules...except ones that prevent us from adoption, or even being legally married, in our own state(Florida) for us to follow.

But I intend on having what is rightfully mine, in this world, before anyone tells me I'm allowed to have it...then I'll give 'em all the finger while pushing 2 babies in a stoller, while Henry has one on his shoulders, and is holding the hand of another...

Joel




No comments:

Post a Comment